Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 20:24:59 +1000
>Yes indeed, but for those want a dedicated mailer setup on Windows, then
>this is surely an valid option?
>The installation manual doesn't state any objections to using any old
>mailer on *nix,

That's correct because the way SMTP is implemented in UNIX makes it
possible for the mailer to co-exist with LISTSERV and still be a useful
SMTP running on port 25, servicing regular mail services as well as list
mail.

This isn't possible under Windows, as Ben Parker previously pointed out,
unless you force the SMTP to run in a non-standard fashion which will
preclude it from being useful for anything else other than list mail.  It
certainly wouldn't be any good as an external mail gateway as every other
mailer on the Internet expects it to be running on Port 25.  In this case,
LISTSERV's SMTP listener occupies Port 25 and it will only respond to
LISTSERV-related mail and reject everything else.

>but categorically states that it is not possible to use a
>mailer other than LSMTP on Windows.

We say that LSMTP is the only 'supported' SMTP because it was written
specifically to integrate with LISTSERV under Windows, it's our product,
and we know it works.

By all means, we don't EXPRESSLY FORBID (all caps meant for empahsis only)
you from running any other mailer with LISTSERV on a Windows machine.  It
is, after all, your hardware and network, you're free to do with it as you
please.  L-Soft just won't guarantee what your success will be (if any) and
cannot support it if you run into problems.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.