Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 21:04:58 EST
> I was breezing through the Monday morning pile and found this chain
> academically interesting, but didn't really focus on it until I was
> looking at LISTSERV's console buffer (having already deleted the huge
> weekend logs) and noticed a repeating "I am out of the office...".  This
> is just a bizarre coincidence, right?  Groupwise mailer on a different
> system.  Whatever, I served the user off, took a half dozen bounces to
> me over the next 10 minutes, and things quieted down.  The thing is, I
> didn't have any queues or response problems or any indication that I had
> a problem.  Other techreps may want to look out for this one.  -Kary

You were luckier than us because your Groupwise user apparently set up
their rules to send only one message for each one received.  Thus you
did not experience the exponential expansion in the number of messages
that we did.  We probably could have tolerated a few messages looping
back and forth.

You might want to obtain the patch from L-soft that disables "I" as an
abbreviation for "INFO".  That change will allow more of these loops to
be caught by LISTSERV.  It's pretty common for vacation messages to
start with something like "I will be away until...".