Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Jan 1993 14:22:26 GMT
Dear LISTSERV Listeners,

A friend of mine forwarded a message to me. It asked for a Macintosh
front end
for LISTSERVs:

"I am  looking for a user-friendly  "LISTSERV client" for both  PC and
Mac which
would take  end-users  by  the hand  and  guide  them through  the
procedures of
signing up to  lists, signing off, reviewing lists, getting a copy  of
the  list
of  lists with  some search  string (the  whole list usually  exceeds
gateway
limits),  and  so on."

This message also described a problem with QuickMail and how it inserts
an extra
field into Internet messages.

I have fixed both problems.

First, the solution to the QuickMail problem is to create a new QuickMail
Form
without any graphics and to make a space (" ") as the default text of the
subject
line.

Second, I have created a frontend to the Bitnet ListServ program. I call
it
ListManager. In short, the ListManager queries the user for what they
want to do
with a ListServ. It in turn formats an SMTP mail message and sends the
message on
its merry way. A few people in my library have been using this HyperCard
stack
for about 1 year. It supports:

  * subscribing,
  * unsubscribing,
  * reviewing,
  * setting mail to on or off, verbose or no,...
  * complete archive searching,
  * file retrieval,
  * and everything else (I thinkque).

It seems to work just fine. I would like to point out that this entire
proceedure
is done simply by pointing, clicking, and entering keyword phases!

Below is part of an article I wrote. The article was about TCP/IP
communications.
I  exemplified my ideas, in part, with the ListManager.

Eric Lease Morgan, Systems Librarian
NCSU Libraries
Box 7111
Raleigh, NC 27695-7111
(919) 515-6182

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Implementing TCP/IP communications with HyperCard

by Eric Lease Morgan, Systems Librarian
North Carolina State University Libraries

Introduction

This article describes how to implement TCP/IP communications with
HyperCard in
three steps. First, it briefly examines the tools used to access
information
resources available through the Internet. Second, it outlines the
necessary
hardware and software requirements to make TCP/IP communications happen
on a
Macintosh. Third, it illustrates the implementation process with two
stacks:
Mini-Atlas and ListManager.

(stuff deleted)

Requirements

The necessary hardware and software requirements to implement TCP/IP
communications from within HyperCard include:

* a Macintosh with a direct connection to the Internet,
* any version of HyperCard,
* MacTCP, and
* the XCMDs from the HyperCard TCP Toolkit.

(stuff deleted)

Lastly, the HyperCard TCP Toolkit is a set of XCMDs which calls the
routines
within MacTCP. XCMDs are compiled pieces of programming code usually
written in a
the C or Pascal programming language. XCMDS can be added to your HyperCard
stacks. In turn, they add additional functionality to the HyperCard
HyperTalk
language. The TCP Toolkit is  available from APDA, America Online, and
from a
number of anonymous FTP sites as well.

(stuff deleted)

ListManager

Another, more interesting application is the ListManager, a front-end to
LISTSERV
programs which operate electronic lists such as PACS-L, AUTOCAT, and
LIBREF-L.
ListManager automates the procedures necessary to search the archives of
these
lists by keyword Boolean queries, to temporarily turn off your mail from
the
list, to retrieve a list of participants of the list, or to retrieve
files from
the lists.  With the ListManager you can do all these things and more
simply by
answering a few questions and clicking a few buttons.  In other words, the
ListManager conducts a simple reference interview querying the user about
LISTSERV needs. In the process, it creates a Simple Mail Transfer
Protocol (SMTP)
message. Using the XCMDs from the HyperCard TCP Toolkit, the ListManager
sends
the message to the user's mail server. In turn,  the mail server forwards
the
message to the LISTSERV program where it processes it and sends a reply
to the
user's email address.

There are two parts to the ListManager: the reference interview and the
transmission of the resulting email message.

The reference interview process asks you questions. Based on the answers
to those
questions, it asks other questions. When the question-and-answer process
is
complete, the result is an SMTP message. The first question is "What is
your
name?" Next it asks for your email address and the name of your mail
server. It
then asks you, "To what list do you want to send mail?" Then ListManager
asks,
"Do you want to send mail to the server or to the participants of the
list?" If
you choose "participants" then you are given the opportunity to write a
posting.
On the other hand, if you choose "server" then you are presented with the
various
commands that can be sent to the server like: subscribe, unsubscribe,
index, get,
and review.

(Put Figure 2 here.)

Figure 2. The ListManager implements a simple reference interview. During
the
interview the operator is asked, "What command(s) do you want to send the
PACS-L
[selected] server?" Information about the commands can be retrieved by
clicking
the question mark button.

Here are some example results of the reference interview process. If I
wanted to
subscribe to PACS-L, then the resulting email message would look like
this:

HELO ericmorgan.lib.ncsu.edu
MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
DATA
FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
TO:<[log in to unmask]>

subscribe PACS-L Eric Morgan
.
QUIT

On the other hand, if I wanted to retrieve a list of all the files
available from
PACS-L, using my email address as an example, then the resulting email
message
would look like:

HELO ericmorgan.lib.ncsu.edu
MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
DATA
FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
TO:<[log in to unmask]>

index PACS-L
.
QUIT

Then, if one wanted to query the PACS-L list for messages (records)
containing
the terms "ALA" and "preconference" posted between May 1, 1990 and August
31,
1990 where the subject line sounds like "shikago" and I wanted the
results sent
in a user-defined author-subject format, then the resulting email message
would
look like:

HELO ericmorgan.lib.ncsu.edu
MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
DATA
FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
TO:<[log in to unmask]>

//   JOB  Echo=No
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD   *
S ALA preconference in PACS-L where subject sounds like shikago from
90/1/5 -
to 90/31/8
F AS: #.6R0 "Record" From.25 "Author" Subject.80 "Subject"
I AS
/*
.
QUIT

The output of a search similar to the one above looks like this:

> S 'ALA' preconference in PACS-L
--> Database PACS-L, 7 hits.

> F AS: #.6R0 "Record" From.25 "Author" Subject.80 "Subject"

> I AS
Record Author                    Subject
------ ------                    -------
001594 [log in to unmask]       ILL, Copyright and Internet Catalogs
003197 [log in to unmask] LITA Human-Machine Interface Interest
Group pl+
003468 [log in to unmask]         Screen design: since you asked
003540 [log in to unmask]       LITA Screen Design Preconference
003654 [log in to unmask]    Screen Design
005747 [log in to unmask]         Screen Design/Online Catalog project
status re+
006113 [log in to unmask] in the OPAC

Finally, if I wanted to retrieve record numbers 001594, 003468, 006113 of
the
resulting set from the search above, then the resulting email message
would be:

HELO ericmorgan.lib.ncsu.edu
MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
DATA
FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
TO:<[log in to unmask]>

//   JOB  Echo=No
Database Search DD=Rules
//Rules DD   *
search * in PACS-L
print all of 006113 006113 006113
/*
.
QUIT

Granted, the first 7 and last 2 lines of each of these examples could be
created
by my email program, but everything in between is up to me to write for
myself.
With the ListManager, all I have to do is answer some simple questions.
The
program does the rest.

(Put Figure 3 here.)

Figure 3. At the completion of the reference interview, the ListManager
has
created an SMTP mail message waiting to be sent by clicking the "Send the
message" button with the help of XCMDs from the HyperCard TCP Toolkit.

(stuff deleted until the end of the article)