Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 31 Jan 1991 19:43:19 EST
This one bit me last night.  I used the online command to put listserv back
on processing files, assuming that it would go back offline when it hit the
system or rscs max again.  WRONG!  The next thing I knew, I had 9998 files in
RSCS's reader, and a dead system.  I had to dump files to tape to get enough
working room to get it back up again.

Suggest that the offline and online commands simply trigger the same
conditions that the high and low file counts trigger.  Offline would take the
system off only after the low count had been reached, but before the high
count.  Online would start it up if it was off and the counts were above the
normal turn on point.

The new command READER with arguments of STOP/START/AUTO would be used to
unconditionally stop, start and return control to automatic mode for the
processing of reader files and other file generating commands.

By the way, how do you get LISTSERV back into automatic mode after an online
or offline command.  I had to take it down, and edit the LASTING GLOBALV file
to clear the flag.

Harold