Garrie Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:20:39 CST
Sent this one to MAIL-L, but given the apparent lack of traffic there,
thought this might be slightly on-topic here, too, given that it
seems to stem from 'leaving BITNET'.

We recently began experiencing problems with sending mail to
addresses at midway.uchicago.edu.  The university there apparently
left bitnet and closed their local bitnet relay, and now our users
encounter 'Maximum hop count exceeded' errors.

I was able to contact their postmaster from our system up to a point,
but when he received the mail my address had been changed to
[log in to unmask]  Now I'm also receiving
the maximum hop errors.

Looking through my system files I note there's a PROFILE for our
system which my predecessor apparently manually revised on occasion.
The line for UCHICAGO reads like this:
; Table of mail nodes that I can send to.

OUTGOING:
; Alias name     Node     Userid   Exit     Type Parm
UCHICAGO         UCHIMVS1 MAILER   BSMTP    3
UCHIMVS1         UCHIMVS1 MAILER   BSMTP    3
Is this the file that needs to be changed?  If so, how?  If not,
where should I be looking?

Needless to say I'm new at all of this...

Thanks in advance...

--Garrie Burr
  Washington University in St. Louis
  Administrative Information Systems