"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:25:21 -0700
[Posted to LISTSERV-DEVELOPERS and LSTSRV-L lists.]

A few years ago I experimented with using the LISTSERV API to store
subscriber data in MS SQL 2000.  I was successful with the test, though I
never put this into production.  I made a mental note to revisit this
capability when my knowledge had progressed sufficiently to enable me to
better understand SQL database design structure and to install and learn
ColdFusion.

The idea at the time was to tie LISTSERV to SQL 2000, and once done, to
build web apps utilizing CFML that would read and write LISTSERV and
non-LISTSERV data that resides in SQL 2000.  This is still the plan, but I
might have a better idea and want to run it by my colleagues here.

It's occurred to me that rather than hook LISTSERV to SQL 2000, I could
leave the data in its native flat table and instead hook ColdFusion
directly to it somehow.  The idea occurred to me last night as I was
reading a book on ColdFusion.  The author wrote that ColdFusion is capable
interfacing with a broad array of database types -- including
ASCII-delimited files.  Does anyone know if ColdFusion is capable of
linking to the LISTSERV database flat file?

The reason I ask is because, if I recall correctly, the hook in LISTSERV
for SQL databases does not include the LISTSERV password (I have notes on
this but haven't yet revisited them -- if I have this wrong, please correct
me).  I'm trying to figure out a way to provide users with a single
password that would work for LISTSERV as well as with other web
applications that store passwords in SQL 2000.

I'm wondering if my idea my provide a means to read and write passwords
through ColdFusion.

I also wonder if anyone is aware whether or not ColdFusion can be used to
access the archive data files?

Steve

Stephen C. Nill, J.D.
Founder & Chief Executive Officer

CharityChannel.com - Connecting Nonprofit Professionals Worldwide (tm)