Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 8 Apr 1987 13:55 SET
Harri,

  Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I  was speaking about problems with RFC822 mail
sent to  LISTSERV for  command execution, not  to a list.  When the  origin is
unclear, you can omit the 'From:' field since 'Sender:' is always present. The
only problem is where to send the ack messages, but that's something else. But
when you're  supposed to execute the  thing as a command,  it's different, you
must be much more rigid, especially  with mail origin validation. The previous
versions used  the RSCS origin  but it seems to  create mailing loops  in some
cases. By the way, if your LISTSERV tells you that your MAILER has been locked
out, it's normal, it's a missing test in LSVMAIL that can cause a loop between
your MAILER and LISTSERV  when the mail origin could not  be parsed. You don't
have to SERVE  the MAILER back, it  doesn't need to send  COMMANDS to LISTSERV
itself (I mean commands From:  Network Mailer <MAILER@localnode>). The problem
with LISTSERV locking itself out is different and I'll have a look at it.

  Eric