"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Sep 1991 13:16:12 CDT
I thought we were talking about the values of variables 'myself' and 'node'
as used in MAILFORM message texts, not about the headers.  For example, in
the following message, each occurrence of RICEVM1 (underlined, without any
".BITNET" as a hint) _could_arguably_ be RICEVM1.RICE.EDU instead when the
recipient is not (or may not be) on BITNET or a connected NJE network.

Please note that I'm not taking sides on the question of whether it _should_
be that way, just trying to make sure that we are all discussing the same
thing.  Also, please note that the first unadorned NJE address in the
message below is not a separate variable, but the result of LSVU@N, which
complicates matters.  In our case, having mixed RICEVM1.RICE.EDUs and
RICEVM1s would probably not be confusing as it would be for nodes having
wildly different NJE and DNS node names (like IRISHVMA = VMA.CC.ND.EDU).

Finally, let me point out that if we are discussing variables in MAILFORMs
then the installation can just use an edited MAILFORM which uses its DNS
address in place of 'myself' and 'node'.  That would present all users
with DNS names.  Most BITNET/etc. nodes can cope with this, but not all.
Then there is the possibility of confusion if the recipient is on JANET...

--Mark
---------------------- example message follows -------------------
Dear networker,

  As of Friday, September the 27th of 1991, you have been added to the LISTSERV
distribution list IBM-MAIN  (IBM Mainframe Discussion list)  by Mark Williamson
<MARK@RICEVM1>.
      =======

  You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF IBM-MAIN" command to
[log in to unmask] Please  note that this command  must NOT be sent  to the list
         =======
address (IBM-MAIN@RICEVM1) but to the LISTSERV address (LISTSERV@RICEVM1).

[Stuff about acknowledgements and concealment omitted.]

  More  information  on  LISTSERV  commands   can  be  found  in  the  "General
Introduction  guide", which  you can  retrieve  by sending  an "INFO  GENINTRO"
command to [log in to unmask]
                     =======

Virtually,

   The LISTSERV management