John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:47:51 -0500
> Hello Folks,
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for:
> 1. the proper method to send attachments to a Listserv list?

Listserv handles any RFC compliant email with or without attachments.
LISTSERV is a mail replicator, it merely replicates what it receives and
sends it to the subscribers. If you can send an attachment to an
individual and they can correctly interpret it with their mail client,
then they can do the same if it's sent through LISTSERV.

> 2. proper list config.info?

Attachments= Yes     for MIME
Attachments= All       for  MIME and UUENCODED

Don't use Sizelim=   unless it's set larger than the attachments you want
to send.

> 3. a list of MIME header[s] that are honored by Listserv?
>    - Our e-mail clients each had a different idea of the proper
>      MIME headers to send.

You can get these right from the MIME RFCs, which are 2045, 2046, 2047,
2048
http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

> - Recently we had an time sensitive announcement, that needed to be
>   send to the recpients of (2) large lists, in the form of a PDF
>   file. We made several test deliveries using different e-mail clients to
>   different Listserv lists. We could not get successful results with any of
>   our combinations and resorted to a brute force mass mailing without using
>   Listserv.
>

> Listserv list config:
> - we tried both "Attachments= All"  vs. "Attachments= Yes"
>
>   ... from the help pages...
>    Indicate whether attachments should be sent to the list.
>   "Yes" allows only MIME attachments,
>   "All" allows UUENCODED attachments as well.
>
> e-mail client's attempted:
> - Pine 4.33
> - Mutt v??
> - SilkyMail 1.1.10
> - these may not be "main stream" clients, but they are widely
>   used at the university

Yes, but it doesn't mean they are compliant nor that they are setup or
used correctly by the user. You need to set up a test. Send an attachment
to an individual(s), yourself and through a List. You can use CC: as it
makes no difference. Make sure yourself and the individuals are also on
the list. If they can view/read the attachment sent privately, they can do
the same with the one via LISTSERV. If this is not the case, let us know
and send the full headers of both messages and the list config.