Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:51:05 -0500
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:37:40 EST, Michael DeGregory said:
> I noticed that when sending a distribute job with Listserv to a relatively
> small list of people (under 1000) Listserv will send a seperate email to
> duplicate addresses in that list. However, if the list is larger it will
> disregard duplictate addresses and only send one email.

Weirdness. In any case, I'd check with your MTA software (sendmail, lsmtp,
postfix, whatever), and see if its logs say that Listserv is delivering
duplicate destinations or not - it's quite possible that Listserv isn't the
real problem here.

I'm going to guess that your MAXBSMTP is set to 1000, and that SORT_RECIPIENTS
is set to something that doesn't force duplicates to be sorted into the same
bundle of 1000.  So if it's a small job, all the duplicates are handed to the
destination at the same time, and the destination sees a duplicate RCPT TO:
and ignores it - but a large job the dup is in a separate SMTP transaction and
not easily tagged as a dup.

> Sometimes I need to send a message to duplicate email addresses. other times
> it should be to only distinct email addresses.

*boggle* Under what circumstances is it actually *useful* to send it more
than once to the exact same destination address?