Sun, 22 Nov 1992 18:09:11 -0500
On Sun, 22 Nov 92 16:21:46 -0500 [log in to unmask] said:
>    In summary, there is no battle here between LISTSERVs.  To suggest
> that there is implies some equality of competition between two or more
> legitimate software packages fighting for a market.  There is only one
> LISTSERV, and to suggest otherwise is an attempt to lend credibility
> to software which I hope more and more sites are realizing is unethical
> to use on purely professional grounds.  In short, if you want to
> provide LISTSERV-like services, ask permission to use the name LISTSERV,
> if the author says 'no, use another name', be professional, respect
> the answer, and get another name.  Finally, I replied here because I
> have seen this issue come up a few times over the years and I am still
> amazed by the lack of professionalism on the part of the developers who
> not only use the name 'listserv' when asked not to, but who also flaunt
> it by posting to this list.   My opinion, my perspective.

Trish, in the interests of professionalism and ethics... may I please
share, borrow and use your opinion and perspective? I agree with it!
I would add that if people took 2 minutes to see how users see the world, they
would see users have no idea there is a difference between the listservs and
frankly don't care... I find it to be a gross error in judgement for someone
to develop something and call it listserv, and, in the specific case of the
one developed at Boston University, I am kind of annoyed that the University
from which I graduated allowed this to happen. Ethics never were a big
topic at BU, in my opinion. Ethics and professionalism should be part of the
computer science curriculum (and all others as well).

/mrg