Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Apr 1995 22:25:36 -0400
On Tue, 25 Apr 1995, Chris Barnes wrote:

> I am in the process of trying to track down a person that was trying to
> spoof our listserv into subscribing someone else.  I have checked the
> listserv console log file and found where the event occurred, but
> what I really need is the actual file that was sent to listserv (to
> look at the headers).
>
> Does listserv keep those things somewhere (gee I hope so).

  I could be wrong, and I will likely be corrected in mins., but
I don't think you can get that info from Listserv, and what you see
in your logs maybe be the only header available.  That is, it may
be the same header that you will find in your system syslog file.
You should have the userid and addr from the listserv logs.  That
is all you really need to make a complaint to the postmaster.

  One word of caution.  We get a lot of bogus sub requests for
userids at sites where the userid does not exist....but the site
does.  The most recent one was a sub request to a list were the
user put in the mail: To Whom it may concern...etc.... and LISTSERV
properly subed Whom@host.name..... even in a sig file I have found
that if 'to word' (where 'word' can be anything) appears in col one,
listserv will treat 'word' as a userid and append the original senders
address to the request.  All of these generate error messages, but
they are really innocent.

  I hope this helps in some small way.

--Trish