Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 22:10:22 +0100
On Tue, 21 Feb 1995 16:03:16 -0500 David Nessl <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Actually,  this  SPAM  detection  seems   to  also  be  related  to  our
>multiply-nested lists. If SPAM detection  wouldn't flag email which came
>from another email list, that would be  a better fix for problem #2 than
>having us turn off SPAM detection completely.

I had thought of that, but decided it made it too easy to bypass the spam
completely. Bear in mind that there are now books telling you how to MAKE
MONEY FAST  ON THE INTERNET SUPERHIGHWAY.  If all it takes  to bypass the
detector is  "Sender: [log in to unmask]", it will  be in the next  edition of
the book and we'll be back to square one. The best I could do would be to
ignore messages that come from another list at the same host. If you have
sublists organized  as a tree, you  don't really need spam  detection for
the sublists because the master list will protect you, so I don't see any
harmful effect to disabling the spam detector for these lists (other than
the inconvenience of having to edit many lists, of course).

  Eric