"John S. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Sep 1993 14:30:25 EDT
As some of you know, WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL will cease to exist at the
end of this month.  That host had been the home of, among other things,
the INFO-CPM, INFO-Modems, and INFO-Micro mailing list.  Since I had
been hosting a Bitnet drop point for these (DIST-CPM, et al.), I was
asked if I'd be willing to take the lists over when SIMTEL20 comes to
and end.  I said, "Sure."

Silly me.

Here's the snag:  Each list has a corresponding news group on USENET,
and, courtesy of UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU, posted news items are sent to the
list.  I'm supposed to send mail items back to the news group (via
UCBVAX), excluding the stuff sent by UCBVAX (naturally).

How can I best do this?  Any ideas?

I understand that in the Unix world they create a "hidden" list.  UCBVAX
sends to the hidden list; everyone else sends to the public list.  The
public list has only two members--the hidden list and UCBVAX.  The hidden
list as the real membership.

That sort of arrangement just doesn't work when you have an automated
administrivia manager like LISTSERV.

I gotta' believe other people have LISTSERV and USENET News cooperating
quite happily.  Anyone care to explain how it's done?

/JSFisher