"Warhurst, SI (Spencer)" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:55:58 +0100
Thanks for your replies to my previous post regarding "discarded" mail.. I
have another question.

I am running a script to get stats out of the listserv log and trying to
find out the number of mails sent out to members of lists in a day.

There seem to be 2 ways of doing this from the listserv logs.

METHOD 1

Either of the following lines indicate a mail sent to a member of a list:

21 Sep 2001 12:51:37 Mail posted via SMTP to [log in to unmask]
21 Sep 2001 12:51:37 Mail delivered to [log in to unmask]

[btw, can you tell me what the difference is between those 2 lines please?
we are using listserv with LSMTP]

So, counting the number of lines with either "Mail posted via SMTP to" or
"Mail delivered to" in them gives a total of:
266,665

METHOD 2

Following a distribution to a list is a line like:

21 Sep 2001 00:00:06 Done - 2 outbound files (20 rcpts).

So by extracting & totalling the number in brackets to the left of "rcpts"
gives a total of:
338,786

Can you suggest why the figures generated by both methods do not match?
Maybe in method 1 I am missing out another format of line indicating a
posted mail, and while I haven't looked at all 250k+ lines I can't see any
other formats randomly going through the log, and in the ones I've manually
checked the number of "mail posted via/delivered to" lines add up to the
number of "rcpts".

Thanks

--
Spencer Warhurst