Jose Maria Blasco <JMBLASCO@DEARN>
Fri, 9 Dec 88 19:56:37 MEZ
>First, can this be done?

Yes. The  only thing  that requires  postmaster intervention is  to add  a new
filelist.

>If so, here are the steps I advised him to follow :
>
>1) First TELL LISTSERV AT UBVM GET COAUNX-L FILELIST (CTL
>
>2) Then TELL LISTSERV AT UBVM SF COAUNX-L FILEID

You don't need that. In fact only postmasters can use SF, for obvious security
reasons. The FILEID file is maintained automatically by LISTSERV.

>3) After  your RECEIVE  them, you  XEDIT COAUNX-L FILEID  to add  the line(s)
>   filename filetype E  filename filetype E, where filename  and filetype are
>   the real names of the file(s) you want to store in COAUNX-L FILELIST.

See above. If  you want that files are  stored in the E disk,  create a FILEID
file with  '*DEFAULT* E1' in the  first line. This will  automatically put all
files in the E disk.

>4) Then  XEDIT COAUNX-L  FILELIST and  add the line(s)  similar to  and right
>   below the line COAUNX-L FILELIST with the correct filename and filetype

COAUNX-L  FILELIST should  not be  mentioned  in COAUNX-L  FILELIST. The  only
FILELIST that needs that is LISTSERV FILELIST -- that is, the root contains an
entry for itself, but sons should be defined somewhere else at a higher level,
for example in LISTSERV FILELIST. Don't forget the /F/ flag.

>   and the GET FAC (File Access Control) of UNX and a GET FAC of PRV (this
            ^^^
I assume you meant PUT.

>   means that the userids listed above as  UNX can PUT files on this FILELIST
>   and only  members of this  list (PRV) can  GET them. Don't  bother putting
>   anything on the  rest of the line except under  File Description where you
>   might put a short blurb about the file.

Better  put  some  placeholders  so   that  LISTSERV  knows  what's  the  file
description and what's supposed to be the file format and attributes.

>6) After you RECEIVE  it, you can then LSVPUT COAUNX-l  FILEID (CTRL and then
>   LSVPUT COAUNX-L FILELIST.

The CTRL option does not exist. PUTC is  the way to put a file directly into a
LISTSERV disk, but this is only  available to postmasters. Anyway the filelist
owner has nothing to do with the FILEID file, as mentioned above.

>7) When  you receive  word from  LISTSERV that  it successfully  stored these
>   files, you  can LSVPUT filename filetype  (PUTC for each of  the files you
>   want to store.

Without PUTC. With PUTC you're bypassing all the FILELIST mechanism.

>8) When you receive  word that everything went ok, you  TELL LISTSERV AT UBVM
>   REFRESH COAUNX-L.

LISTSERV does that automatically.

>9) When  you receive  word that  everything went ok,  you can  announce their
>   availability to the rest of the list.

Right.

>9)  Whenever  you  are  prompted   for  a  password  use  L-XNUAOC  (coaunx-l
>backwards).

Better change the password soon :-)

>tell listserv at ubvm get coaunx-l filelist (ctl
>R;
> DMTRGX171I FROM UBVM(LISTSERV): * You are not authorized to GET (CTL format)
> file "COAUNX-L FILELIST".
>
>Do I need to do something specific to allow him to maintain his filelist?

Well he should be  an owner of the filelist. He should  'satisfy' the PUT FAC,
e.g. by being explicitly listed in the FAC. But the definition which counts is
not the one inside COAUNX-L but the one inside the father of COAUNX-L.

Just ask if you need more info.

>Jim Gerland

  Jose Maria