Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:15:32 -0500
>Is there a way to restrict what changes a list owner can make to a list
>header file?

No.

>Also, is there a way in LISTSERV to suspend list activity
>so that no one can re-activate it other than the Postmaster?  (HOLD and
>FREE appear to also allow the list owner access to their functions.)  Or
>is there a *simple* way to do this outside of LISTSERV proper?

If I was in a situation where I wanted to disable a mailing list and
I didn't want the listowner to be able to do anything without
contacting me first, I would define myself as an owner and delete or
comment out the old owner lines.  For instance if previously the list
of owners was as follows:

* Owner= [log in to unmask]
* Owner= Quiet:
* Owner= [log in to unmask],thirdowner@thirddomain
* Owner= [log in to unmask]

I would alter it so it looked something like this:

* Owner= [log in to unmask]
* Owner** [log in to unmask]
* Owner** Quiet:
* Owner** [log in to unmask],thirdowner@thirddomain
* Owner** [log in to unmask]

(This assumes I don't want _any_ of the owners doing anything.)  Then
I would hold the mailing list.

There's nothing special about **, incidentally; you could replace the
'=' in the lines you want to replace with almost anything.  I chose
** because it's noticable and isn't likely to be used in other
contexts (so later I can just do a find-and-replace on "**" if I want
to revert the mailing list to its original state).

Later on if appropriate the "Owner= [log in to unmask]" line could be
removed and the other lines reverted to their original state.

I hope this suggestion is helpful to you.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc