Lou Schwing <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:29:25 -0800
At 7:16 PM 7/11/96, Ted D. Conley wrote:

>***Thanks, that's easy to look up through the California state articles of
>incorporation***

I happen to be at 1645 Vine, he's at 1680.  By the looks of his "office", I
doubt he's incorporated though.

>***I can just smell him from here.***

I di-"stink" possibility! ;-)

>*** Perhaps you should distinguish email from other types of advertisments in
>that, for me personally (and others I'm sure), I PAY FOR THE EMAIL STORAGE TIME
>(Compuserve).  The more mail which sits in my inbox, the more it costs me!!!!
>Is that fat little fucker going to reimburse me for the costs he has
>unilaterally assessed to me!?  I fucking doubt it!!!***

Well, Ted, that was what I was trying to do.  He apparently didn't
understand that his Usenet spam would get sent out to some groups via
e-mail.  Like I said before, by the way he was able to by-pass Usenet
moderation, I would have thought he would understand that at least, the
bit.listserv.* groups would go out as e-mail.

This was also why I found his dislike of "FAX" advertising to be a bit
hypocritical.  He thinks that if you have to pay for the paper, then it
shouldn't be done.  But download time?  Apparently he doesn't understand,
or he doesn't care.

>***This shit infuriates me.  The internet has made everyone a publisher, but
>it's also made anyone an advertiser.  ***

True, and that is *exactly* his point.  He's see those moderators who
cancel his posts as the bad guys, the ones who are holding back commerce.

I don't have an answer, especially when guys like this end up making money.
We've all fought against junk snail mail, and telephone solicitation for
years, it seems that we will have to continue to fight this too.

Peace,

Lou Schwing                          La Crescenta Presbyterian Church:
[log in to unmask]             http://www.primenet.com/~louschw/

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogroves,