Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 02:56:13 +0100
On    Wed,     27    Mar     1996    16:25:40    -0800     Peter    Rauch
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Good. No  explicit mention  of Packages.  Since a  file might  belong to
>several Packages, I'm not ready to equate Package to directory contents.

Packages are  Phase 2 items. It's  not clear that many  people still want
them.  Nowadays packages  are distributed  as a  ZIP file  or equivalent.
Packages are probably not very difficult  to implement, but users do find
the $PACKAGE confusing,  and I can't wait  for all the unix  users to ask
why it doesn't work  when they type $PACKAGE like it  says in the manuals
:-)

>I'm not sure  what this means. Web-based menus/point  and click/reply to
>prompts/links is great stuff, but it's  not database stuff. Much of what
>a discussion  list is --is  text. So, the  graphical stuff you  refer to
>must mean the interface and not graphical information content.

People want  to click  on "Search  the list archives",  then they  want a
series of menus  and forms allowing them to formulate  their search. Then
they want to  click "Go!" and see  the results as a series  of links that
each show a message.  Something like that. What they don't  want to do is
type DATABASE SEARCH commands.

Obviously you  can provide forms  that somehow  submit a database  job to
LISTSERV, but that doesn't give you a reply  on the web. Or you can use a
local OS-dependent channel to LISTSERV to submit the database request and
collect  the results,  then  make links.  That  may not  be  fast due  to
LISTSERV being busy doing something  else, it's limited to one concurrent
search, but it's one way to do it. Another way is to have a search engine
that can be  used both by LISTSERV  and in a web context.  This is better
but you either  use separate indexes or have an  interesting file locking
issue with, if you're not careful, a potential for deadlocks. There are a
number of hybrid  approaches where LISTSERV keeps the indexes  up to date
and the web search  engines can work in R/O mode. The  whole web thing is
going to be a  big can of worms, of which we're going  to get a foretaste
when we  release the  archive browsing  interface and  everyone complains
that it's not easy to install and why does my web server do this that way
or require this or that and why do  I have to configure so many paths and
so on,  can't there be  a GUI  that figures what  my web server  is, goes
inside it and does everything for me? :-)

>See my comments above. The "simpler"  syntax you imply wouldn't buy much
>more than echoing messages to  a web/hypermail server and letting people
>do their searching, such as it is,  there (which is what some lists have
>been doing, as I mentioned earlier).

Actually, I was thinking in terms  of something similar to the VMS SEARCH
command, with  a simple syntax, some  context and an item  number. If you
want  the whole  posting,  you order  it from  the  item number.  Boolean
searches  are not  that hard  to implement,  the difficulty  is in  using
indexing, which could be done later I suppose.

  Eric