Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 3 Oct 1993 12:25:04 +0100
A lot  of people have been  reporting "LISTSERV loops" when  processing a
pile of X-DEL jobs  from Albany. Well, these are no  loops, it just takes
several hours  for the  jobs to run  on small machines,  and this  is why
netwide DELETE  has been removed  from 1.8a,  as announced in  April when
1.7f was released. The problem is  not in making the code more efficient,
which can  always be  done, but  in the  simple fact  that the  design of
netwide DELETE  (sending a list  of all your  expired userids to  all the
LISTSERVs) doesn't scale  up. With maybe 50 sites using  that service, we
have barely managed to keep the costs to a reasonable level. If just half
of BITNET  were using  it, every  LISTSERV site  would have  1-10 million
userids to  look up in all  lists at the  end of each semester,  of which
maybe a dozen  would be found. This design was  used because nothing else
was available at the time; we could either  do it this way, or not do it.
Nowadays you don't need to use netwide DELETE at all if you run LMail, MX
or PMDF (I  realize most Internet hosts run things  like sendmail or some
kind of PC mail system, but in practice these sites never did use netwide
DELETE anyway).

A couple  people also expressed their  astonishment at the fact  that the
quality of LISTSERV  support has degraded now that LISTSERV  has become a
product, when one would logically expect the opposite to happen. Well the
reason I am not answering questions on the list is that none of the major
networks has licensed  customer support from L-Soft so far.  I would like
to remind  EARN users  that the  EARN/L-Soft license  explicitly excludes
customer  support, that  EARN  is  providing this  service  to its  users
through the EARN office, and that  this is part of the price calculation.
L-Soft  does *not*  think  that customer  support is  not  worthy of  its
attention, in  fact it is  in L-Soft's  interest to provide  this service
because it  brings revenue and ensures  L-Soft's software is used  to its
full potential. However  we cannot force people to buy  this service, and
if we provide it for free nobody will  ever buy it (and it costs a lot of
money too  - the questions  you see on  the mailing lists  only represent
about a third of the requests; I have a lot more time for programming now
that I don't answer them any  longer). Similarly, if the 3 networks which
are  now  considering a  global  license  get  the impression  that  free
customer assistance is available from  the mailing lists anyway, they are
unlikely to  get category  II licenses  and their  members will  not have
access  to  between-release  fixes  unless  they  pay  for  this  service
themselves, which many would  not do until they are hit  by a problem and
some VP or other is standing behind them screaming loudly :-)

  Eric