Will Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Mar 1992 20:42:12 GMT
I need help to find out what address some mail is being sent to.

I am subscribed to a Bitnet conference.  I subscribed by sending a
command to a server known as a listserv.  The problem here is that these
listservs, because they are on Bitnet, will typically register Internet
users by an indirect address (e.g., westes%netcom.com@<bunch of stuff>...)

Recently I switched userids here on Netcom.  I asked the administrator
of the Bitnet conference to add my new userid and delete the old one,
since I know from hard experience that commands to a listserv to remove
an Internet user seldom manage to find the user's address (obviously a
bug in listserv).  The administrator could not find my old address.  And
so now I am getting two copies of every post...one sent to my new
address and one sent to my old address (which is now a mail alias for my
new address).

I thought it would easy enough to examine the RFC-822 header to see what
userid my name had been stored under and pass this on to the
administrator to delete.  Alas, the header of the mail that I received
does not seem to contain my address at all!  Clearly there is something
about distribution lists in RFC-822 that I do not understand.

My question is: what can I do to determine the actual address to which
this mail is being sent?  The actual header is as follows: