Xander Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:18:15 +0200
Hi,

[ note that this is only posted to lstsrv-l, not lstown-l ]

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Keller, Richard (CIT) wrote:

+ I discovered a little quirk with posting blank messages to a LISTSERV
+ archive.  When someone posts a blank message with a Miscrosoft Word
+ attachment (.doc), the email to the subscriber is normal; however, the web
+ archive page puts the MIME code directly into the message.  In other words,
+ the .doc file doesn't show as an link to an attachment as it normally does.
+ When you send a blank message with a .txt attachment the same thing happens,
+ except the normal text is put into the message.  It seems that you must add
+ some type of characters to the body of the message in order for attached
+ messages to properly appear as links.
+
+ I wonder if this is a problem with LISTSERV itself, or the way various mail
+ servers convert the messages during transmission.  Any comments would be
+ helpful.

Not sure if this is the same thing but we noticed a similar behaviour with
messages that do not contain a text/plain (your average text message) part
as either the first or the only part. For example in the archives of a
list where only text/html (i.e. HTML only, not the multipart/alternative
stuff) messages are posted (yes, some people seem to prefer that ;-) all
messages are presented as-is (without interpreting the HTML-code).
Interested people might want to have a look at
http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/snn-html.html to see what I mean.

My guess would be that WA expects every message to have either only a
text/plain part or at least contains a text/plain as the first part.

Cheers,

Xander