Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Jun 1993 03:26:42 +0200
On Wed, 23 Jun 1993 19:35:31 -0400 Chris Lewis
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>The LISTSERV should notice that the article originated on news

How?  The "Newsgroups:"  tag  doesn't  mean anything.  In  fact, you  can
program LISTSERV to create one (for  some gateways that needed it - don't
ask me, I just did what people said they needed).

>Further,  the LISTSERV  (and  indeed, any  mailing  list server)  should
>arrange things so  that bounces of mail to *its*  subscribers do not get
>mailed  back to  the original  poster (or  submitter). I  think LISTSERV
>already does this reasonably.

The systems that bounce back to  the poster are non-compliant. They don't
run RFC822  software but some sort  of hack which unfortunately  does not
require you to waste a whole hour installing appropriate software. Anyway
there is nothing LISTSERV can do about it.

  Eric