Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Sep 90 17:35:37 O
>By "generic," do you mean files with concealed file names?

What is a file with concealed file name? :-)

   FSLOOKUP EXEC       ALL CTL .       .     0 ........ ........

(I  removed the  ">" to  avoid confusion)  That is  an explicit  filelist
entry,  it tells  LISTSERV  you have  a file  called  FSLOOKUP EXEC  with
certain GET/PUT attributes. If you find out  you have a major bug in this
exec which can cause, say, useful files from the A-disk of the invoker to
be deleted at random, you may want to delete it from all servers in order
to prevent having more people using it; this will also notify anybody who
is AFD'ed or FUI'ed to it. Then  you might start working on the bug, make
a fix, and  distribute the final exec  with a comment in  the header (but
the exec might be  large and take time to be sent,  etc). In other words,
consider this as a "permanent" entry which  is likely to stay there for a
very long time.

A generic entry would be something like:

>  FS*      EXEC       ALL CTL .       .     0 ........ ........

(The ">"  is from me and  needs to be  present) This is a  generic entry,
because it defines a family of files  called FS* EXEC which all share the
same attributes. FSLOOKUP EXEC is a  member of that family even though it
is  not stored  on  the server;  when  you  store it,  an  entry will  be
dynamically added  to the  filelist. When  you delete  it, this  entry is
removed. "Generic"  entries should  be used for  families of  files where
each individual file  has a short life span, for  instance you might want
to have the minutes from the 6 last weekly XYZ meetings.

  Eric