Listserv Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 May 2000 09:03:35 -0400
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Adam Bailey wrote:
> On 5/4/00 2:59 PM, Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]> wrote...
> ><...
> >from discussing the virus here unless you have something specific to
> >say with regard to it.
>
> Well, I can specifically reiterate my long-standing request for
> header-based filtering capabilities in LISTSERV...  :)

To some extent, limited capability can be achieved by the TRAPIN/TRAPOUT
config variables where Listserv will never accept or send mail,
respectively, to addresses listed.  Of course this would *NOT* help in
this case because you never know what address a virus will come from.
However, if there is a good case for having this capability, maybe Lsoft
might extend these variables to include, for example, TRAPIN-HDR and
TRAPOUT-HDR where "HDR" could be one of: SUB, TO, or what did you have in
mind?

A second reason why it would not be a good idea to use this feature for a
specific virus is because they usually require that the "larger view be
taken". Blocking a virus should be done at the site level not at the
application level, of which Listserv is only one e-mail application on one
box. It would make no sense for your postmaster to block mail to and from
your site/campus via sendmail with "Subject: ILOVEYOU" and for you to
block mail coming to Listserv with the same subject using, for example,
"TRAPIN-SUB: ILOVEYOU".  Well, if you had a postmaster who didn't give a
damn, it would sure help!, but I'm not sure fixing the "lazy postmaster
syndrom" is tops on Lsoft's priority list unless it provides other
advantages.

I apologize if I have misunderstood and then misrepresented your
request in this instance.  My comments are intended to ask for
more info.

--Trish

Trish Forrest, Queen's University, [log in to unmask]