Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:32:22 -0600
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 13:23:50 -0700, Ron Beatteay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My list configuration is set to plain text
>only.  Wouldn't that block attachments or
>any extracurricular files?

No.  If you want to block attachments, you need the setting

 Attachments= No

If you want to block the HTML part of multipart messages (html can contain
'bad things' not found in plain-text), you need the setting

 Language= NOHTML  (through ver 15.0)
or
 Misc-Options= DISCARD_HTML (ver 15.5 and later)

The third setting that can be useful is

 Sizelim= nnn

This limits the overall size of messages, including HTML and/or attachments.
The Sizelim value for LSTSRV-L is 450.  For other lists (where I try to
discourage over-quoting) I have it set as low as 125.

The fourth thing is configure your LISTSERV to use an anti-virus check on all
list messages.  F-Secure is available from L-Soft for Windows and Linux
platforms.  On Windows, almost any real-time A/V can be used with LISTSERV. On
other OS, LISTSERV AVS (Anti-Virus Station) can be used.