Gary Sponseller <SPONSELL@AKRONVM>
Tue, 19 Aug 1986 19:23:17 EST

Eric,

First of all, please do *not* misread my intentions.  Having good memos
to refer to is not something any of us take for granted!  Too many times,
we get poor ones or none.

After rereading the LISTSERV MEMO file (yes, Version 1.3c), I think that
the discussion was oriented to how it is different from "its mundane
equivalents" and so forth in the first half of the file.

  *** Please feel good that I have nearly forgotten those "others" ***

I think that the differences discussion is certainly valid as a private
memo to the LISTSERV maintainer for his conversion to Revised LISTSERV.
If he has never had a LISTSERV before, he can only imagine the way that
they must work and may even ignore that discussion.

Let's assume that LISTSERV maintainers and list owners have their private
memos.  Now, we have John Doe out there trying INFO and gets a discussion
on how revised LISTSERV is different from others; yet, he has no idea of
other LISTSERVs (isn't it great!).  He will read through the first 80 lines
(comparison listing) meant really for the LISTSERV maintainer/list owner(s).
"Enhanced List Control" is helpful to all users.  Then, "Available keywords"
confuse him as possible keywords for commands?  Now, do you see my point?

Well, my idea is this --> make it simpler.  Only put these items in:

A) Revised LISTSERV's purpose and list control features
B) Available commands
C) Sending commands to LISTSERV

Although I think that list options are handy to know, they are usually
most useful to list owners.  Do that many people (other than us) really
use REView?  And then do they also request list options be changed?
I would think that the list owner would keep up with that and make the
changes as the list changes...

Gary