Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 23 Jan 88 11:42:21 SET
(...)
"Undelivered mail"
"Undeliverable mail"
"Your mail could not be delivered"
"An error occured while trying to process your note"
"A problem occured in the delivery of your message"
"System was unable to successfully process your message"
"Message is being returned to you"
"Mail could not be processed"
(...)

Harry,  by  "identifiable"  I  meant   "identifiable  to  a  stupid  dumb
computer". One might argue that even "Better luck next time" as a subject
clearly identifies the message as rejection mail. But then if the 'From:'
origin is  POSTMASTER, one might wonder  whether this wasn't typed  in by
the postmaster himself. If  gateways would just be so kind  as to put the
GATEWAY address in the 'From:' field,  not the POSTMASTER address, OR put
a copy of the rejected message in the body, everything would be fine. But
then I guess I'm asking for too much.

I  think if  you had  gone through  the process  of putting/updating  two
kludges a  week into LISTSERV for  over one year just  to solve rejection
mail problem #2367236, you would better understand my point of view. I am
just FED UP  with this. I will NOT  make any more change to  this part of
the code, except if new facilities become available that I should use (eg
the gateway internet name that should  be added to DOMAIN NAMES). You can
shout, insult me, cry, walk on your  hands, I won't change my mind. Since
LISTSERV won't be changed, if new problems  arise it will be because of a
change in the gateway/UUCP node/whatever, and then that thing will be the
one that will have to be fixed.

It's funny.  I personally  never had any  problem with  UUCP subscribers.
When a UUCP person sends me mail requesting to be added to a list, I look
at his  mail headers. If they're  invalid or even too  munged (truncated,
more than one 'From:' field or suchlike),  I tell him he'll be added when
he becomes  able to generate valid  headers (well this has  happened only
once, I  was insulted  back and  the matter  was closed).  If a  new UUCP
recipient is generating  burps and junk mail, just kick  him off the list
until he  gets a decent  mail package, or  SERVE his gateway  address OFF
(this DOES last across IPLs) if  you have postmaster privs and don't want
to sound too harsh.

What do you do when someone gets on  the road with one of those cars that
almost look like  they wouldn't be able  to move, fails to  brake in time
and bumps into  your car? Do you complain to  your car's manufacturer and
tell him that his cars should be able to withstand such shocks? Or do you
complain about  the other  car not having  brakes? I  personally wouldn't
give  a  driving license  to  someone  who plans  on  using  such a  car,
regardless of how much he would insult me afterwards.

  Eric