Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:21:07 -0400
I'm still on 14.5 so I can't give you precise details for how it works
on 15 but here is what I've had to do for some of our lists, and I
suspect this material will be fairly close to what you find on your
server.

Find the template "MSG_POSTING_REJECT_NOTAUTH" and make it look like
this (all "dot codes" must be in column one of the actual template):

   - - template begins at next line - -
 .TY &DATE &TIME &LISTNAME; auth-drop &FROMID; &MSGREF;
 .* cancel the notification, reduce spam back-scatter
 .QQ

You are not authorized to send mail to the &LISTNAME list from your
&FROMID account. You might be authorized to post to the list from
another
of your accounts, or perhaps when using another mail program
configured
to use a different e-mail address, but LISTSERV has no way to
associate
this other account or address with yours. If you need assistance or if
you have any questions regarding the policy of the &LISTNAME list,
please contact the list owners at &OWNERS.
   - - template ends above this line - -

What it means: the .TY directive creates (types) a log entry describing
the discarded item; "auth-drop" is my own choice of a marker explaining
why it was dropped; I make a log entry for the just-in-case situation
where someone complains that their messages disappeared - at least I can
find something to respond to them.  The dot-star is a comment line; .QQ
tells the system to Quit without sending the response, which is the most
important part.

Another template you may also need to update is
"MSG_POSTING_REJECT_BAD_ATTACHMENT" with these three lines added at the
top:
 .TY &DATE &TIME &LISTNAME; attach-drop &FROMID; &MSGREF;
 .* cancel the notification, reduce spam back-scatter
 .QQ

And for some I have also adjusted the "MSG_POSTING_CONFIRM_SENDER" this
way:
   - - template begins at next line - -
 .bb &NON_MEMBER = 1
 To cut down on spam,

 .TY &DATE &TIME &LISTNAME; spam-drop &FROMID; &MSGREF;
 .* cancel the confirm request, reduce spam back-scatter
 .QQ

 .else
 For security reasons,
 .eb
   - - template EXCERPT ends above this line - -

You should be able to match up the illustration above with the actual
template on your system.

I have been doing this on a list-by-list basis, since we're only being
pounded on a select few, but I suppose if you make these edits on the
site-level templates you don't have to do it to each one - I have no
idea how many you are dealing with.

And a tangentially related observation: ask your hosting provider
when/how they will implement a spam detector/filter facility on their
service so that you don't have to deal with quite as much of the garbage
that is arriving (I'm working on plugging in SpamAssassin on mine now).

  I need an A, B, C, step by step guide.

  First of all, in the top menu I have,

  Server Administration, List Management,

  I'm sure it's got to be under one of these,
  but which one?

  Ron