Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:35:23 -0700
On Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:51:34 -0600, David Young <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I found a file with the filename ending in .OK333C6D.  I tried the command
>"ok 333C6D and was told there was no pending command corresponding to that
>confirmation code.

That will not work.

What you have to do is search the LISTSERV Log file (for today and perhaps back
log files for several days although you may get a clue from the filedate/time of
the listname.OK333C6D file) for '333C6D'  Eventually you will find the log entry
which matches this 6 digit filename code code with the 8 digit confirmation
cookie code actually used in the message confirmation originally sent to the
Modertor.  That these 2 codes are both randomly generated and different from
each other is a security feature that is a lot of work to circumvent.  Once you
find the 8 digit code then you can send the command  OK 1234ABCD.

Bill Verity suggests looking in permvars.file for the same matchup but since
that is a 'live' file constantly changing we do not recommend this method.  You
may use it at your own risk.

The moral of the story is it a rather difficult and time consuming to do this.
It is better if moderators do not delete the messages.