Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:38:14 -0400
On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 04:42:41 +0200, Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> we had to work with. The fact that it still catches viruses even when behind a
> central e-mail scanner that is supposed to stop all viruses shows that all this
> work was not for nothing.

Somewhat off topic, but Fred Cohen (the same guy who came up with the concept
of a virus) showed that stopping *ALL* viruses is equivalent to the Turing
Halting Problem, and thus fundamentally impossible.

http://www.all.net/books/virus/index.html

Stopping 99.98% of viruses isn't too hard - but stopping ALL of them is
impossible.. Anybody who says it's doable is obviously a salesman. ;)