Steven C Howes <SCH@BYUVM>
Tue, 12 Sep 89 10:41:28 MDT
On Mon, 11 Sep 89 16:41:32 GMT Eric said:
>So what should we do now? ...

Looks like we really have two DIFFERENT backbones... The
problem of compatability between the two is getting to be
really annoying.

Is it possible to treat it as two DIFFERENT backbones? Each
having it's own PEERS NAMES. And having a (multiple?)
gateway between the two which could resolve the differences.
I'm still getting "X-" jobs to LISTSERV@BYUADMIN even though
this was deleted some months ago. And, I still see this
stuff for other LISTSERVs that are no longer on the network.

Seems to me that the problem is (could be) even worse that
just PEERS NAMES... I.E. as LISTSERV evolves, older versions
won't support new features (E.G. a new and even better DIST
algorithm... or whatever). If there exists a group which
refuses to keep current, then those who wish to keep current
are either held back, or something must be done to insure
that each LISTSERV is sent something that it understands.

Steve Howes