Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:33:28 +0200
>         Personaly, I don't see it as very much use, but I'm not involved
> at all with it.  The idea is that by putting a message like that on the
> end of the message, people feel confident that they are not being infected
> by the ``site in question''.

The thing though is that a malicious user can add the "virus scan done"
message and make it look like the message was scanned when it was not.
In other words, this only provides a dangerous sense of false security. It
trains users to feel confident about messages which bear this little note,
when in reality there is no guarantee that it was inserted by a virus scanner.

  Eric