Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 4 Sep 1986 22:37 SET
  Actually there is a "fake" TITLE= keyword  for the list title in V1.4. It can
be retrieved by  asking for keyword "TITLE"  but is not defined  in the header,
it's just the first nonblank comment line. As you may know it's not possible to
define a keyword containing blanks except by putting it into double-quotes, and
even this was  a pain to code -- I  mean, I wanted it *fast* and  it was not an
easy goal to achieve. I have one list with double quotes in its title, and like
it that way.  Besides it's nicer for  users to have the real  title rather than
"Title=..." One of the  reasons why titles are on commented  lines is that they
are automatically  pulled up  when sorted;  another reason is  that it's  a lot
easier and faster to retrieve the userids lines -- anything not starting with a
'*' is a userid.  And if keywords are  on noncomment lines, any user  can add a
new keyword by signing up with name = "owner= myself@mynode". Or then you disal
low the "=" character  on both name and userid. By the way,  it reminds me that
you can have  a userid of "*xx" and  add a keyword to an open  list by subscri-
bing to it, will have to fix that :-)

  I had sent mail to the list about  being back to school and not being able to
send out V1.4 because  the docs are not finished. It seems like  I messed up my
names file and the mail went to RELAY-L instead. Anyway, I am not going to ship
1.4 before I have the docs up to date,  and I'll be nearly off the net during a
long time (as  last year :-( ). You  can get the new refcard from  my server by
sending it  an "info REFcard"  command (try also  "info feat" and  "info key").

  Eric