Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Nov 1993 21:20:13 CST
On Tue, 23 Nov 1993 15:46:13 MST Kingsavanh Bounkeua said:
>Hello networkers
>
>    I started to receive many of the following messages from listserv.
>What does it mean? What do I need to do to correct it or stop it from put
>out this messages.

   Assuming POSTMASTER@UNMVMA didn't send the message to list METHODS
then I suspect mail just went out under that address from an "anonymous"
contributor...  The contributor probably didn't intend to be anonymous but
the mail headers were such that LISTSERV couldn't determine an origin.
In that case LISTSERV uses POSTMASTER@localnode as the From: address.
It may also put a comment in the headers too - I don't remember.

   We used to have this happen too.  But some list readers thought the
contributors were intentionally hiding their identity.  It also made for
some dangerous situations.  So at the time I did a
       SERVE POSTMASTER@localnode OFF
(from the LISTSERV postmaster ID).  This bounces the bogus addresses to
me as coming from a served off address.  I suspect with the filter option
you could now add this to your list if you wanted to.

         Marty