Roland Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 21:25:21 -0800
Hello.  I am facing a big problem today.  What seems to be an automated
prank has been hitting my list (MGSA-L, a modern Greek studies list)
today.  Over twenty messages of the following form have come to me this
Sunday afternoon:

Sun, 3 Mar 1996 16:09:18

Articles Articles  <[log in to unmask]> has just subscribed  to the MGSA-L
list (MGSA-L - Modern Greek Studies List).

All of these messages feature a repeated version of the user's login in
place of first and last names.  They have included aol, compuserve,
SUNY Oswego, the Well, as sites, in addition to the US President, VP and
First Lady, and Georgia6@hr.. (Newt Gingrich?).  It seems to be an auto-
mated process because they have been coming in steadily for hours, and
always take the same form.  I have been deleting these new subscribers
as they come in, but I know they are receiving the lengthy welcome docu-
ment.

What advice do you have for temporarily stopping subscriptions in general
and specifically stopping this prankster.
?
Thanks, in advance,
Roland S. Moore, Ph.D.