Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 21 Nov 1987 19:37:40 SET
Actually  I don't  know any  user  agent that  makes  use of  the TAG  to
generate replies. This would be completely stupid since it would botch up
all internet replies  and send an invalid file to  the gateway. But there
are a lot (well probably 99%) of  user interfaces that make use of either
the  TAG,  filename/distcode or  'Sender:'  ('From:'  if the  latter  was
omitted) to identify the *origin* of  the mailfile, which is displayed in
the "list of things  in your mailbox" menu. I don't  know how you process
you mail,  but I usually  process all  "junk" first (anything  that comes
from a local  server or suchlike), then distribution list  mail, and then
mail  from other  people which  usually require  longer replies  (ie more
time). If I'm busy and have little  time, I only read personal mail and a
few ("important") distribution  lists, keeping the rest for  later. I can
do this because  I know, by looking  at the list of files  in my mailbox,
what comes from what list and what is personal mail.

Thus if  we change the 'Sender:'  field, it must point  to something that
uniquely  identifies the  list, and  not to  its owner  or postmaster  or
whatever. Another requirement  is that this mailbox should  be valid, and
that the list  ownerS (note the plural)  be able to read  what falls into
it. Please keep in mind that the owner(s) are very, very seldom the local
LISTSERV postmaster. Your  average postmaster is a  systems programmer, a
busy man  who sets up  lists on his (backbone)  site for other  people to
maintain. He is NOT interested in delivery notices from the list, and has
NO time to check 50 local sender mailboxes. Your average list owner lives
on a  different CPU than the  postmaster, and can't therefore  logon into
the dummy sender mailbox (to which the postmaster probably didn't want to
give any disk space or CPU credit).

The list  owner must therefore  be able to request  that a copy  of those
delivery notices be sent back  to him, automatically. This means LISTSERV
must  do it.  It  has  all the  required  authorizations,  but there  are
security  aspects:  the list  owner  shouldn't  be  allowed to  put  just
anything  into the  'Sender:'  field, then  ask LISTSERV  for  a copy  of
everything in this mailbox "since  it's the list's bit-bucket". Since the
list owner SHOULD be free to  put anything into the 'Sender:' field (even
his boss's address  if he's crazy enough), it means  that he shouldn't be
allowed to ask LISTSERV for a copy of the contents of this mailbox unless
he has been properly authorized to do so.

The only sensible solution is this: create a MAIL-L list with a 'Sender:'
field pointing to 'MAIL-R'. Then, create a 'MAIL-R' list with a 'Sender:'
field pointing to,  er, either the postmaster or the  bit-bucket, and the
list owners as recipients (or more  exactly, whatever is presently in the
"Errors-To="  list header  keyword).  Thus delivery  notices  get to  the
owners automatically, and delivery**2 get to the bit-bucket (if any). Now
you have twice  as many lists to  create and maintain, and  twice as much
overhead  for LISTSERV  (some commands  are  o(n), and  the basic  wakeup
process, which  gets invoked for each  command and reader files,  is o(n)
too since  it has to  scan all the mailboxes  for new stuff  to process).
Well this is up to the postmaster in fact, after all HE creates the lists
and "pays" the CPU cycles. So the only  problem is to find a name for the
sender list, a postmaster willing to create 2 lists for each distribution
list, and  someone willing to process  the user questions that  will hail
down on his mailbox the very day the 'Sender:' field is updated :-)

By the way, it  seems that the feature allowing the  list owner to change
the sender field is not in the  last version of LISTSERV I released. It's
one of the first  changes I made to the code, and I  forgot it hasn't yet
been released. Just c/are  able to/will soon be able/ and  you have it. I
could ship the  updated modules to whatever site might  be willing to try
this.

  Eric