Zvika Bar-Deroma <AER7101@TECHNION>
Tue, 3 Jan 89 23:13:49 IST
>      I must  conclude, in view of this aggresive  attitude, that they do
>not and will not  consider our point of view. In  these conditions, I can
>no longer work for EARN, since my view  of what EARN is and the BoD's one
>are completely contradictory.
I can say on behalf of myself (I believe others feel/think so too) -
I am sorry & sad to read this.

>              I find that it  is much more important for the network that
>this kind  of utilities are supported  than to try to  enforce ridiculous
>company-dependent  policies  which  in  any  case  can  only  make  of  a
>cooperative network an inefficient legalistic mess.
Exactly - what I (as an EARN user) want is tools that do work and make
"EARNing" easier/more friendlier. The future is important, but I'd
rather have the "giants" improve their products, before EARN throws
everything else away, waiting for an OSIric future.

>>So the best thing to do for now is to ignore Jose Maria's quoted
>>paragraph. I guess better news are to follow when Jose Maria is
>>back from hollidays.
>
>This has already  been mentioned, but it's really BAD  STYLE to send this
>attack while  I'm in vacations.                                        to
Bad style - I'd rather say it's something that should never be done in
(civilized ?) human relations. Even when you have some argument with
whoever it is, mainly if you are broadcasting it to many other too, a
minimum level of manners is required.

>                                 If you want  better news you'll  have to
>write them yourself.
Leave out the news - I want CODE. I have never met neiter you, Jose,
nor Eric or any other of the foreign (for me) net-volunteers. But I
have enjoyed using their "products" as well as getting prompt answers
to questions. Who will do it ? Not an inexperienced newly hired
system programmer can successfully do it.

>                                       They pay attention to what's going
>on,  reply  if  necessary,  and  keep a  cooperative  attitude  with  the
>volunteers,  so that  everything goes  fine.  EARN seems  to have  firmly
>decided  to evolve  into a  bureauchratic monster,  killing all  personal
>initiative  under legalisms  and nasty  pressures. Well  you'll get  what
>you're looking for.
I had the same feeling too, but thought it was pure imagination.

>Jose Maria

Last word - all the best to you, Jose Maria, and I hope to see EARN
once more enjoying your services, as well as those of the other
volunteers.

/Zvika

Disclaimer: the above written note expresses just my views, not those
            of my boss or anybody else's.