Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 27 Jul 1991 17:22:20 +0200
On Thu, 25 Jul 1991 22:43:27 EST Stan Horwitz <OASIS@TEMPLEVM> said:
>In reference to the listserv message below. What exactly does this mean?
>What is a checksum error? The message,  as you can see, does not seem to
>insistant that I  issue this LSVLDELT ... command. It  says that 'I may'
>want to issue it. How do I know for sure whether or not to issue it?

A new list  has been created at  your site, or the header  of an existing
list has been changed, anyway LISTSERV decided it was time to send a list
of lists update.  It did so. These updates contain  a checksum. When your
server processed the update for ITS  OWN data, it found a checksum error.
This is bad news, but  what can it do about it? If the  error is due to a
bug and it  tries to resend the data  and get a new error,  it would then
get a  loop. This is  never supposed to happen  - not unless  local spool
files are  lost (and  even then  it would  have to  happen at  the "right
time"), or  someone edited one of  the files manually, or  typed HX while
the server was updating them, etc.

  Eric