Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:57:44 -0500
Once upon a time, X-SPAM notifications served a useful purpose, because
spammers set up jobs to send thousands of messages with the same sender
address. The world has moved on, spammers techniques have changed, and
the X-SPAM jobs have become less than useless: they have become spam.

The volume of X-SPAM jobs which our LISTSERV server receives from other
LISTSERV servers is significantly higher than the volume of actual spam
which our LISTSERV server receives. This has become a major performance
issue. Despite L-Soft's claims that web requests take precedence over
inbound messages in the listserv/spool directory, we continually experience
web performance problems during periods of high inbound mail volume, and
most of those messages seem to be X-SPAM jobs from other LISTSERV servers.

Are we the only site experiencing these problems?

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator