Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 01:46:28 -0400
> >We have many lists that are Confidential=Service and Service=Local.
> >These lists are used for our internal business needs.  I would like for
> >users on our network to be able to access the archives of these lists
> >without having to get a password.  It would greatly reduce the number
> >of people who need to go through the somewhat unfriendly process of
> >obtaining a password.  What's needed is a way for the web interface to
> >map the IP address of the browser to the LISTSERV service areas.  This
> >seems doable with a configuration file that maps IP address ranges to
> >domain names.
>
>         Perhaps you should put the confidential archives on an 'Intranet'
> machine behind your firewall, or set access restrictions in your web
> server. You might maintain a private (internal-only) page with the
> supplementary links for confidential=service lists.

Access restrictions on the web server are what we want to do.  I'd like
to have things happen automatically when we create a list, or if the
list owner changes the notebook access.  We do create new lists rather
often (and occasionally delete them).  It's WA that has access to the
list header.  It might be doable by us with quite a bit of programming
effort.  We would have to somehow override the archives page that
LISTSERV creates by default in order to omit the lists that some users
should not see.

If we wanted to roll our own, we could get Majordomo for free.  :-)