Matt Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:01:01 -0500
I was told that this is the place to make suggestions as to how to
improve Listserv.  If this is not the place, please forgive me and
please let me know where I do make suggestions/requests.

Are there any plans for supporting the MIME multi-part standard for
digests?  I have see this work very well with Mercury's Maiser list
management software.  The actual digest message is almost identical
to those generated by Listserv, except for a special "Content-type"
header that defines the message boundary string. Then, wherever the
message boundary string is find, MIME compatible mail programs can
break the single message into a multi-part message.  Currently
Pegasus Mail supports this method and it works quite well.  You can
reply to individual messages within the digest without having to go
through the hassle of cutting, pasting, and deleting lots of text.

I realize that many non-client/server email programs don't support
MIME, but they would not be affected, at least as far as I can tell.
The reason is because there is not any actual MIME encoding involved.
You would just have Listserv generate a "Content-type" header that
defines the message boundary.  Mail programs on VM and VMS systems
would simply see an extra header.

It seems like it would be simple to me.  However, I know very little
about the actual MIME specification, so I apologize if I am dreaming
about something that is more difficult than I realize.  But, I
thought I would make the suggestion anyway.

Note:  Pegasus Mail and Mercury are written and copyrighted by David
Harris ([log in to unmask]).

Thanks for your time.

Sniglet of the day:
    HEYI'MTALKINGTOYOU (hay I'm tok' ing too yoo'):
    n.  The third brake light that sits up high in the back window of a
    car.
 J. Matt Pierce                         Voice:  (409) 845-4427 ext. 143
 Network Administrator                  Fax:    (409) 862-4383
 Student Counseling Service             E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
 Texas A&M University                   WWW:    http://www.scs.tamu.edu/matt/
 College Station, TX
Any opinions expressed within this message are solely the result of complex
chemical reactions which frequently occur only within the confines of my brain.