Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT@TREARN>
Sat, 28 Oct 89 10:59:29 TUR
On Fri, 27 Oct 89 12:50:37 CST DON said:
>     I have created a list where VALIDATE=ALL COMMANDS, so people could
>only use the signoff command if they knew the list password.It does not
>work, because anyone can still signoff. Is their something else that
>needs to be done for VALIDATE=ALL COMMANDS to work?

    Here is the trick - if the command is coming to LISTSERV via CP,
    meaning you are on the same  site as LISTSERV, and you use TELL,
    then it won't ask  for a password - because there  is no way (or
    so it has been told) to  cheat your address via CP.  However, is
    there  is an  RSCS involved,  then the  server will  ask you  to
    specify  the password.   to try  this, you  may try:

       SM rscs M TTUVM1 LISTSERV SIGNOFF my-list

    where you  need to alter the  lowercase part.  (the name  of the
    rscs can  be obtained by using  the ID command.  it's  the blurb
    after the VIA.)

    the server will ask you for password.. Try,
       TELL LISTSERV SIGNOFF MY-LIST

    and it  won't ask for  the password!  (Because TELL  doesn't use
    the RSCS if the recipient is local)   regards, -turgut