Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:23:41 -0400
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Ben Colborn wrote:

> We are running Listserv 1.8d on Solaris 2.8. One of our user groups has
> a new requirement that they be able to add and delete *lists*, whereas
> now we manage the lists, and they have the ability to manage the users.
> We cannot give them complete site administrator privileges because there
> are other lists they do not have authority over. What they should be
> able to do is the following:
> 1. create lists.
> 2. modify lists they have created, and no others.
> Is there any way to have this sort of restricted administrator role? I
> would be surprised if there is, so on to the next question.

What I did was set up some CGI scripts on our server. In addition to
Listserv, we run Apache. I have an HTML form (nothing fancy) which feeds a
CGI script that than takes the info from the form (such as list name) and
generates a header file, then emails it to Listserv and creates the
necessary directories for the list. I also wrote a script that allows
lists to be deleted. The deleted lists are actually tarred then gzipped
and put in a separate directory. I have another script that allows people
to undelete a list. These scripts and the associated web pages are all
restricted to access by a certain number of IP ports. Email notices are
sent out to the list owner for each request.

These scripts also log activity. Each night, I have another script that
runs via a cron job and tells me how many lists were created and deleted.
One of these days, I am going to connect the scripts to LDAP so that
users in our LDAP database can do these things on their own rather than
have to rely on our help desk staff.

This works out well.