"Richard W. Wiggins" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Aug 1993 21:18:04 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>  writes:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1993 03:49:07 GMT "Richard W. Wiggins"
> said:
>
> >Is there a standard  clue that an automated reply tool can  key on so as
> >not  to  generate  replies  to   Listserv-generated  mail?  Is  there  a
> >recommended or  proposed header  that mailing  list managers  in general
> >ought to send for this purpose? Thanks....
>
> This  is the  wrong  approach.  The auto-reply  tool  should  be the  one
> identifying  its  messages as  an  auto-reply  that should  be  processed
> according to the  list owner's wishes (and depending on  the type of list
> that may  not necessarily be  "throw away"). Unfortunately they  don't do
> anything like that at the moment.
>
>   Eric

I disagree.   If I set up a robot reply tool I would never want this tool,
as my agent, posting to mailing lists -- only to individuals who explicitly
send me mail.  I belong to a  lot of mailing lists, some Listserv, some others,
and I cannot think of a single mailing list that would want me to inform all
the members of my absence for every message someone posts to the list.

Whichever way it might be resolved, it seems for now neither the auto-reply
tools nor the mailing list processors do the job, and as a result we end up
with lots of:

"I'm in Aruba, I'll read this next week"

messages sent to mailing lists.

Forgetting the auto-reply tool question, then it's the case that there is
no suggested header that a user (or a robot) can key on to recognize
that a piece of mail came from a mailing list manager?

/rich