Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 12 Feb 1987 19:52 SET
  I  changed the  1.5h  code to  make  SERVE lockouts  permanents  so that  10
unsuccessful commands --> permanent lockout  until SERVEd back, not just until
re-IPLed. This makes sure that possible  mailing loops with crazy mailers will
not restart  after a LISTSERV  reboot. However,  this causes the  LISTSERV 191
minidisk to gradually fill up at an amazing rate... because "!%$!$% GLOBALV is
not able to intelligently perform housekeeping on the LASTING GLOBALV file (it
could  count the  number  of lines  appended  to it  and  perform its  garbage
collection after,  say, 100  appends). The only  way to cause  the file  to be
reformatted to clean up old entries is GLOBALV INIT, or at least it's the only
way that I know of. This will  cause all other GLOBALV variables to be lost...
This command is automatically issued when  LISTSERV IPLs itself, but cannot be
issued unless you re-IPL the server. I'll put  in a fix in the next release to
make sure  not to  issue the SETP  unless the variable  was previously  ^= '',
which will force  me to issue another GLOBALV call  but *sigh* nevermind... In
the meanwhile you may want to re-IPL your server from time to time to clean up
the problem. A possible  solution is to add an entry in  WAKEPARM FILE with CP
SM * SHUTDOWN  REIPL. This will cause  a daily re-IPL to clean  up the GLOBALV
file.

  Eric