Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:33:39 +0200
I am looking for sites that have an AOL Feedback Loop (the main requirement for being on AOL's whitelist) and are interested in having LISTSERV process the spam reports automatically (a new 15.5 feature that I developed when I was hit with a barrage of spam reports). Actually, sites that would like to be on the AOL whitelist but did not apply because they lack the manpower to process the spam reports are also welcome to test this feature. Please contact me privately.

I have to tell you that my experience has been that, while the majority of spam reports appear to be from people who are too lazy to click on the unsubscribe link, there are a lot of spam reports from people who do not think the list messages are spam at all, and may not have understood the difference between "delete" and "report as spam." In fact, they ask to be re-subscribed to the list, which I personally do not allow unless they can convince me that they will not do it again. AOL doesn't care if the user genuinely intended to petition them to block all L-Soft mail or did it out of ignorance, they count one vote to block L-Soft in both cases.

I have even seen a list owner report his own list as spam ;-)

Once you get the spam reports handled automatically, the whitelist does work very well. My bounce rate on that new server is down to 1.68%, and only 0.56% are voluntary blocks. I had no choice anyway since AOL started to bounce all mail from that server after (I am guessing from the logs) receiving a number of messages with URLs that they did not like. All AOLers got deleted from all lists and it was a nightmare. The whitelist seems to prevent that and also dramatically improves delivery rates.

  Eric