Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:18:41 -0500
I am thinking of giving six people on our help desk postmaster access, all
of whom are at the management level and fairly experienced with Listserv.
These individuals would not have root access. The purpose of this move is
to allow them to use the functions to add lists and delete lists that come
with the web GUI on Listserv 14.3. I also want the help desk managers to
have access to the web GUI so they can generate ad hoc reports on listserv
traffic.

We are running Listserv 14.3 under Red Hat Linux. We've been running it
for one week now and its working well for us. We migrated from Listserv
1.8d under Tru64 Unix and Listserv 1.8e under Windows. Previously, I had
some how grown CGI scripts that allowed lists to be created and deleted,
but that was under Tru64 Unix with qmail as its MTA. Our Listserv
landscape has changed quite a bit since our migration.

I am wondering if anyone sees any problems regarding security and
stability with this idea. We run our Listserv with Sendmail. The list
create/delete features in Listserv's wa web GUI know nothing about
sendmail, of course. As a result, they do not create or remove the set of
sendmail aliases that each list requires. This is, of course, because
Listserv does not have root access. Does anyone have any suggestions on
how to integrate the built-in list management features of wa with
sendmail? Our sendmail installation and Listserv run on the same box.