Bob Moffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:38:15 -0400
Melissa,

Thanks for the feedback and the information.  This helps a lot.

Bob Moffitt
Network Administrator
Brooks School
North Andover, MA. 01845

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kenny, Melissa S
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Configuring Listserv to work with Exchange2003

Bob,

We run Listserv along side of Exchange 2000.  We do not process the
outgoing mail through Exchange SMTP; we use Listserv's LSMTP product,
which they no longer sell.  The idea at the time we purchased it was to
not burden our Exchange system with the extra mail processing, but there
really is no reason we couldn't use Exchange.  Our system could handle
the load easily, but our Messaging group would prefer to leave things as
they are.  As long as your Exchange system can handle the load from
Listserv, there is no reason I can think of not to use it.

We integrate our lists with Exchange so that each list has an
@hms.harvard.edu address in addition to a @listserv.med.harvard.edu
address.  This way the lists are visible in the GAL.  We create a
contact with the Listserv address, and then create a universal
distribution group with the contact as the sole member.  We hide the
contact from the GAL, but not the distribution group.  This has the
additional effect of allowing most mail coming into the list to be run
through our Exchange server's anti-virus (Antigen) and anti-spam
(Brightmail) systems.  We run the Listserv-supplied F-Secure AV on the
Listserv server as well.

I hope this answers your question.

Melissa Kenny

IIS Administrator