Fri, 4 Oct 1991 13:46:23 PDT
On Fri, 4 Oct 1991 21:14:29 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>On Fri, 4 Oct 1991 12:49:50 PDT RIEHL@USCVM said:
>
>>postmast@uscvm post master
>
>Somehow, this line gives me the  feeling you are maintaining this list as
>a free text file on LISTSERV 191,  using XEDIT. This may work, but is not
>supported. Many things may fail due to that.

no. i do not do that.  I subscribed to the list to monitor initial
activity.

>>1. i  changed the send  field from  'private' to 'editor,owner'  (yes, i
>>    know its redundant). for the next  half hour, anyone on the list was
>>    still able to post to the list. What is the delay caused by?
>
>No idea. If the cache data is older than the time stamp of the LIST file,
>it is rebuilt. SENDFILE plays with  time stamps under the assumption that
>everyone bothers  to set his GMT  offset properly, which is  almost never
>the case,  so if this is  the way you maintain  the list it could  be the
>reason.

it was the CACHE file.  i made another update, and erased the cache file.
it worked immediately

>>2. I would like to have postings to the list by subscribers forwarded to
>>    the list editor.  from the mailform, this looks  possible because of
>>    the presence of a message. How do i do this?
>
>This should happen the way it is set up now.

this was another delay from the cache file.  the test userid was getting
rejected.  he had only just subscribed moments before.

thanks to eric thomas & bob kaneshige
jr